Individual membership in Alpha Kappa Delta, the international sociology honor society, is an honorable achievement. Membership benefits include:
- Membership is for a lifetime. There are no annual dues for members after the initial $40 payment unless one decides to remain a Voting member. Renew today!
- A certificate of membership and a membership card are given to all new members to recognize the honor of being a part of Alpha Kappa Delta. This also shows evidence of membership.
- Free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of Alpha Kappa Delta. This is available to members who submit completed activation form.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Student Paper Competitions. AKD sponsors an annual student paper competition for both undergraduate and graduate students. Winners receive a cash prize and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting.
- Undergraduate students have the chance to participate in the ASA Honors Program
- First place winners are eligible to have their papers published in Sociological Inquiry
- Student Travel Money. AKD provides grants to undergraduates and graduate students who are AKD members to present at regional sociological meetings.
- Merchandise. Members may purchase an honor cord to wear at their graduation ceremony, lapel pins, t-shirts, and other AKD paraphernalia.
- Mentorship Program. This program provides an opportunity to connect and network with other AKD members and professionals in the sociology field.
- AKD Members who are Civil Service employees meet one of the requirements for
entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay-grade) if they list AKD
membership on their applications (providing they enter at the GS-5
- Social Media allows for opportunities to network with other members of the Society and professionals in the sociology field. Join us on our public Facebook and Twitter, and our member-exclusive LinkedIn page.
- Voting members have access to the AKD Newsletter, may participate in Officer elections, and receive a subscription to Sociological Inquiry.
Chapter Membership Benefits
- AKD chapters are important in the academic, professional, and social lives of
student and faculty members. They provide opportunities for initiating and
sharing activities in keeping with the purposes of the Society.
- Student Travel Money. AKD provides grants to undergraduates and graduate students who are AKD members
who are AKD member to present at regional sociological meetings.
- Chapter of the Year Award. AKD annually recognizes and rewards chapter achievement in fulfilling the general purposes of Alpha Kappa Delta
- Teaching and Learning Workshops. Alpha Kappa Delta sponsors Teaching and Learning Workshops at various regional sociology meetings. AKD funds up to five Fellows to attend the workshop.
- Alpha Kappa Delta sponsors a Distinguished Lecture series at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
For a printable version of this flyer, click here!
Hang this on your AKD bulletin board, hand out with application materials, and e-mail to potential/inducted members!