Sociological Research Symposium Grant
The mission of Alpha Kappa Delta is to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition. In support of this mission, Alpha Kappa Delta chapters are invited to submit proposals for a supplemental grant to fund sociological research symposia on their campus. Alternately, two or more chapters may work cooperatively to submit one proposal.
Definition of a Sociological Research Symposium
For the purpose of these guidelines, a symposium is defined as a small conference or workshop designed to bring faculty and students (undergraduate and/or graduate) together across campus (or campuses) for the exchange of scholarly information and the application of knowledge about a sociological topic(s) of interest. Symposia are half-day or full-day educational events that offer research content through oral presentations, lectures, panels, poster presentations, and other formats of scholarly information exchange.
Amount Eligible for Funding
Alpha Kappa Delta will provide up to $500 per symposium, per academic year, in supplemental support for a limited number of sociological research symposia sponsored by AKD chapters meeting the symposium definition and grant requirements.
Early submission is encouraged as funds are limited. Symposia proposals will be reviewed for acceptance on a first-come, first-served basis if applications exceed the budget.
Eligibility for Grant Proposal Consideration
In order for a proposal to be considered, the following basic eligibility requirements must be met:
- Chapters must be active and in good standing with the Executive Office in order to receive funding
- Sociological Research Symposium Grant awards cannot be used to fund induction ceremonies or initiation speakers. Symposia must be held independently of the initiation of new members
- Sociological Research Symposium Grant awards cannot be combined with Initiation Speaker Grants for the same event
- Sociological Research Symposium Grant awards cannot be used for student prizes and awards
- Proposed events must meet the definition of a symposium and the grant proposal submission requirements. Funding amounts will depend on the number of quality proposals received per granting period, completeness of individual proposals, and the detail of the budget proposed. The review committee comprised of members of AKD will determine approval and amounts of each award.
Fall: September 25, 2019
Winter: January 31, 2020
Spring: February 28, 2020
- Student research symposium where students present their research projects followed by lunch
- A series of research based workshops
- Department research symposium
- Speaker series – bring in speakers/panelists to have discussions about certain sociological research topic
To apply for the Sociological Research Symposium Grant and to read the proposal guidelines, download the following: