AKD Teaching and Learning Workshops at a Regional Conference
2019 Teaching & Learning Workshop
- Mid-South Sociological Association | October 25, 2019 (embedded sessions)
2020 Teaching & Learning Workshops
- Eastern Sociological Society | February 27, 2020 | *Additional funding available
- Midwest Sociological Society | April 2-4, 2020 (embedded sessions) | *Additional funding available
- North Central Sociological Association | March 26, 2020
- Pacific Sociological Association | March 26-29, 2020 (embedded sessions
Join colleagues interested in teaching pedagogy, practical application, and the scholarship of teaching and learning from a variety of academic settings in a workshop/sessions designed to expose the inner workings of course design, student engagement, meaningful learning, and effective assessment. These workshops and sessions will benefit those working within a range of settings, including instructors from community colleges and small liberal arts institutions, as well as early-career faculty and graduate students.
Each session/event is intended to advance the quality of teaching in the discipline of sociology.
Fellowship Funding Available
Alpha Kappa Delta will provide up to $250 to three recipients for each event to cover travel expenses, including hotel stay, airfare, registration, and other expenses.
All sociologists are encouraged to apply for the AKD Fellowship. It is part of AKD’s purpose and mission to serve segments of the sociology community that are currently under-served. To that end, the selection committee will consider institutional affiliation at community colleges, HBCUs, HSIs, and tribal colleges as a positive factor when assessing applications for the AKD fellowships. Graduate students will also be highly considered.
Fellowship Application Deadlines
ESS: January 15, 2020
MSS, NCSA, and PSA: February 15, 2020
The following application must be completed and emailed to us by the appropriate deadline:
- ESS Fellowship & Norton Travel Funding Application
- MSS Fellowship & Routledge Travel Funding Application
- NCSA & PSA Fellowship Application
Final selections will be made after the deadline and everyone will be notified of the committee’s selection shortly after that date.
Requirements if Selected as a Fellow
In order to qualify for reimbursement as an AKD Fellow, you must attend at least three of the five sessions. You will need to obtain a signature from one of the session presenters and answer the questions on page 2 of this form (as well as complete a travel voucher sent from the Executive Office).
Additionally, if selected as a Fellow, you will be expected to develop a new pedagogical technique, course, or curricular innovation inspired by the workshop and to provide AKD with a progress report on your work after the workshop is completed. We will follow up with you periodically (three months, six months, nine months, etc.) to see how you are doing and if there is anything we or the program organizers and facilitators can do to help.
*Additional Funding Available
- Eastern Sociological Society: This event is made possible in part with the generous support of Norton, our exclusive sponsor. Because sessions at ESS do not officially begin until noon, Norton has generously provided funds to cover Wednesday night at the conference hotel. Apply using the ESS Application.
- Midwest Sociological Society: Our exclusive sponsor is Routledge. Their generous support allows participants to apply for travel support in addition to our AKD Fellowship. Apply using the MSS Application.