Emory Bogardus Chapter of the Year Award
The Emory Bogardus Chapter of the Year Award has been established to recognize and reward chapter achievement in fulfilling the general purposes of Alpha Kappa Delta: to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition. The use of this award is to support chapter development and service activities.
One applying chapter will be awarded $500 to support chapter development and service activities.
Open to all active undergraduate and graduate Alpha Kappa Delta chapters.
- Active chapters are those who have paid their annual dues (chapter representative renewal), have filed all IRS paperwork with the AKD Executive Office, and have submitted a chapter report from the previous academic year.
- Previous Chapter of the Year recipients are ineligible to submit an application for two consecutive years following their achievement.
Submit a completed application and any accompanying documents to the Executive Office via email.
View winner applications here!
2022-2023 Chapter of the Year Recipient
Hartwick College (Alpha Sigma of New York chapter) recognized students for their scholarship and research, supported students going into sociology or other related professions/occupations, and promoted campus-based and community-based service activities. The chapter organized the first regional (upstate New York) symposium, ‘The (up)Roaring 2020’s: Sociology’s Responsibility in Addressing Recurring Social Problems’. The purpose of this symposium was to bring together scholars (students, faculty, and sociologists/researchers) to discuss current social issues and share ideas and opinions relating to various contemporary events. It was a unique opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to ‘dive’ into an academic world, present their academic work to other young scholars and advanced researchers, expand their professional horizons, and be encouraged to pursue an academic career (e.g., going to graduate schools), and meet young sociologists from other schools. They also organized the 51st Hardy Chair Lecture and brought notable scholars in the world of sociology to campus to share their expertise and address current topics and issues. The 2-day event in 2023 was titled, “Preventing School Violence”. Dr. Elena Chernyak served as the chapter representative during this time.
Past Chapter of the Year Award Winners
- 2021-2022: Arkansas Tech University
- 2020-2021: University of Tampa
- 2019-2020: University of Central Arkansas
- 2018-2019: University of Nebraska-Omaha
- 2017-2018: California Baptist University
- 2016-2017: Eastern Illinois University
- 2015-2016: Kent State University
- 2014-2015: Shawnee State University
- 2013-2014: Ball State University