Placing an AKD Order for New Memberships and/or Merchandise
To identify eligible members, compile a list of current junior and senior sociology majors and minors (undergraduates) and/or graduate students who have completed at least one-half year of study in sociology. Undergraduate students who have taken at least four sociology classes (and meet the other requirements) are also eligible. If needed, contact your school’s registrar office for a cutoff list of those sociology students who are in the top 35% of their graduating class and have a minimum 3.0 sociology GPA (graduate students must have an overall 3.0 GPA). If your school’s registrar office cannot provide you with the top 35% ranking, instead use 3.3 overall GPA in its place (see membership eligibility).
Once you have identified all students who are eligible, send an invitation for membership and application to those candidates. Select a deadline for students to return their application form and payment. The membership fee is $50.00. Let students know that they may purchase honor cords, lapel pins, and other AKD paraphernalia at an additional cost (see our online store).
To officially induct new members (students are not members until all paperwork and dues are received in the Executive Office), prepare and mail the following items to our office:
- AKD Order Form
- AKD List of Initiates – Be sure to include the initiation date to be printed on the certificate(s). Ensure all names are spelled correctly. Include students’ emails in order for them to receive their one free year of online journal access
- One Check or Money Order – Made payable to Alpha Kappa Delta. Individual student checks and multiple checks will not be accepted. We can accept checks from the chapter, the institution, the department, or the chapter representative. We cannot accept cash or credit cards.
- UPDATE: Due to COVID-19, we have opened up the option to pay by credit card. If you need this option, simply email us the completed AKD Order Form and List of Initiates and let us know you would like to pay by credit card. We will send you a link to pay.
- AKD Activation Form (optional) – If you provide email addresses for your newly inducted students on the List of Initiates form, students will automatically be signed up for online access to our journal. If students prefer to receive a print copy, please have them send in an activation form.
- Students are not official AKD members until we have received the proper paperwork and fees.
- Please limit orders to once a semester.
- Only orders from active chapters can be processed
- Certificates: Orders are processed when received in the Executive Office regardless of order date or initiation date. AKD certificates and cards are shipped directly from a printing company. Please allow up to 2-4 weeks for these to be processed, printed and shipped. Note: It may take longer during the spring semester. Certificates will not be rushed via priority or express mail. Please plan accordingly and allow sufficient time to ensure certificates arrive prior to your initiation date. We suggest sending in an order a month before the certificates are needed.
- Merchandise: Merchandise, including honor cords and lapel pins, is shipped directly from the AKD Executive Office. Please allow 3-7 days for delivery. There is a shipping and handling cost for all orders that include merchandise. Express shipping is available at an extra cost.
- Merchandise will be sent with a tracking number. AKD is not responsible for the loss of packages that have been confirmed as delivered by the USPS through tracking.
- Express shipping cost to ship 1-3 honor cords and/or lapel pins: add an additional $20
Please let us know if you have any questions at any time!