Benefits of Membership
- Membership is for a lifetime. There are no annual dues for members after the initial payment unless one decides to remain a Voting member.
- A certificate of membership and a membership card are given to all new members to recognize the honor of being a part of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- Free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Student Paper Competitions. AKD sponsors an annual student paper competition for both undergraduate and graduate students. Winners receive a cash prize and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting.
- Undergraduate students have the chance to participate in the ASA Honors Program
- First place winners are eligible to have their papers published in Sociological Inquiry
- Student Travel Money. AKD provides grants to undergraduates and graduate students who are AKD members to present at regional sociological meetings.
- Merchandise. Members may purchase an honor cord to wear at their graduation ceremony, lapel pins, t-shirts, and other AKD paraphernalia.
- Mentorship Program. This program provides an opportunity to connect and network with other AKD members and professionals in the sociology field.
- Graduate Student Lounge. This monthly project is for graduate students in sociology across universities, states, and countries to talk about practical topics related to academia, careers, advising, teaching, and much more.
- AKD Members who are Civil Service employees meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay-grade) if they list AKD membership on their applications (providing they enter at the GS-5 level).
- Social Media allows for opportunities to network with other members of the Society and professionals in the sociology field. Join us on our public Facebook and Twitter, and our member-exclusive LinkedIn page.
- Voting members may participate in Officer elections and receive a one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry.
Chapter Membership Benefits
AKD chapters are important in the academic, professional, and social lives of students and faculty members. They provide opportunities for initiating and sharing activities in keeping with the purposes of the Society.
- Student Travel Money. AKD provides grants to undergraduates and graduate students who are AKD members who are AKD members to present at regional sociological meetings.
- Chapter Representative Travel. AKD provides grants to chapter representatives to assist students presenting at regional sociological meetings.
- Speaker Initiation Grant. AKD provides a grant to bring speakers to induction ceremonies.
- Sociological Research Symposium Grant. AKD provides a grant to develop and host a sociological research symposium on campuses.
- Chapter of the Year Award. AKD annually recognizes and rewards chapter achievement in fulfilling the general purposes of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- Teaching and Learning Workshops. Alpha Kappa Delta sponsors Teaching and Learning Workshops at various regional sociology meetings. AKD typically funds up to three Fellows to attend the workshop.
- Alpha Kappa Delta sponsors a Distinguished Lecture series at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
- Alpha Kappa Delta contributes $18,000 annually to the American Sociological Association Minority Fellowship Program.