Start an AKD Chapter
The following is a list of requirements in order to be eligible to start a chapter:
College or University
- Must be accredited by the appropriate academic accrediting agency (must be one of the following):
- The New England Association of Schools and Colleges; the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the Higher Learning Commission; the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the WASC Senior College and University Commission
- Must offer a program or coursework leading to a baccalaureate and/or graduate degree in sociology (as defined by the standards of the American Sociological Association)
- At least two instructors shall devote their full time to the teaching of sociology
- There must be at least two instructors with PhDs in sociology
- At least one instructor shall agree to maintain Voting membership in the Society while serving as chapter representative
- This person may already be a member of Alpha Kappa Delta or willing to join
- After the first year, the person must renew his/her membership every calendar year serving as chapter representative (our form of chapter dues)
- The department shall require that students complete at least ten (10) semester courses (or the equivalent of thirty (30) semester hours) in sociology to earn their degree
- At least one course in methods of sociological research and at least one course in sociological theory are required
- However, if a department fulfills these requirements by incorporating them within other courses in the department rather than as independent courses, the department may request an exemption from the course requirement by justifying and documenting how this requirement is fulfilled.
Contact the Executive Office for a copy of the charter application.