Media Editor Position for the Alpha Kappa Delta Executive Office and Sociological Inquiry
The Executive Office of Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society, is hiring a Media Editor to create meaningful and effective content for communication purposes for the AKD Executive Office and its journal, Sociological Inquiry. This position will be remote and will be 30 hours of work/month. The duties listed below are areas we are looking to grow, and we seek to hire a colleague who can help address these needs.
Responsible to: Executive Director of Alpha Kappa Delta
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in Sociology required.
- Expected to have knowledge of the Society’s purposes, policies, and programs.
- Expected to carry out duties in such a way as to promote positive relationships and enhance the image of the Society.
- Expected to have skills to perform needed communication, publication, and computer functions to fulfill needs of the Society.
- Expected to have the ability to work effectively with the leadership of the Society.
Duties may include some combination of the following:
- Social Media
- Create consistent, meaningful content for social media.
- Executive Office social media: Send content and posting schedule to Executive Director for approval. Work with Executive Director to create ways to promote the Society through social media (e.g., blog posts and short podcasts).
- Sociological Inquiry social media: Manage the Sociological Inquiry social media accounts (currently using Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter). Post frequently regarding Sociological Inquiry’s published works and release of certain research articles and regular/special issues. Work with authors to create ways to promote their work through social media (e.g., blog posts and short podcasts).
- Responsible for a comprehensive communication plan and social strategy that enhances brand awareness and fosters relationships and engagement with chapters, members, and readership
- Stay up to date on best practices and emerging trends in social media
- Monitor and analyze engagement
- Perform other duties when needed
- Write/create fresh, relevant, and informative content in all media forms to enhance AKD and Sociological Inquiry’s footprint and promote the society/journal
- Develop plans to promote the journal and published articles
- Create graphics and interviews with chapters and members
- Create short video segments, sizzle reels, trailers, and .gifs for use on social websites
- Create and curate new content that will attract more users and subscribers to Sociological Inquiry’s content such as podcast episodes, author interview videos, or other items that enhance Sociological Inquiry author contributions.
- Create useful content for chapters to use in order to maintain a successful chapter and to utilize its benefits
- This may include creating how-to guides, video instructions, blog posts, webinars, etc.
- Be familiar with and committed to digital storytelling approaches that encourage and increase audience engagement, including, but not limited to, finding creative ways to use chapter, student, author, etc. contributions
- Help the Executive Office with designing publications (flyers, brochures, newsletters, announcements, program deadlines, etc.) and other graphic designs (apparel, promotional items, etc.)
- Create content for the AKD website (including the Sociological Inquiry subpage).
- Regularly communicate with the AKD Executive Office and the Sociological Inquiry editorial staff.
Length of Position: 6 months; renewable (with flexibility)
Compensation: $750/month (stipend)
To apply for this position, please submit the following materials to Alpha Kappa Delta’s Executive Director, Bethany Titus, via email at AKD@lemoyne.edu
- A cover letter discussing your interest in this position and your qualifications
- A copy of your curriculum vitae or resume
- List of references
Application deadline: January 15, 2024 (or until position is filled)